domingo, 1 de abril de 2012

1. Rewrite the sentences using the modal verbs in brackets.
1. It’s possible that Jane will visit Switzerland next year. (could)
2. I’m thinking about taking Spanish lessons. (may)
3. I’m sure they’ll be home by now. (must)
4. James definitely isn’t eighteen yet! (can’t)
5. It’s possible the weather will be sunny tomorrow. (might)
6. I’m sure that Mrs Smith didn’t leave home. (can’t) Mrs Smith …
7. Perhaps she’s gone to stay with her mother. (might) She …
8. It’s possible that Mr Smith committed a crime. (may) Mr Smith …
9. I’m certain that he buried something in the garden. (must) He …
10. Perhaps he won the lottery. (could) He …
11. I’m sure he bought a new car. (must) He …
12. Perhaps Mr Smith murdered his wife. (might) Mr Smith …
13. I'm sure she's at home. (must) 14. I know that isn't Janet-She's in America. (can’t)
15. I'm sure she thinks I'm stupid. (must) 16. I bet I look silly in this coat. (must)
17. They're always buying new cars. I'm certain they have a lot of money. (must)
18. I'm sure he's not a teacher. He's too well dressed. (can’t)
19. You're an architect? I'm sure that's an interesting job. (must)
20. I'm sure you're not serious. I know you're joking. (must)
21. I'm sure he's got another woman. He keeps coming home late. (must)
22. This water is possibly dangerous. (could)
23. Politics is sometimes really boring. (can)

2. Rewrite the sentences using a modal verb.

1. It isn’t necessary for you to take a jacket.
2. I advise you to see a dentist.
3. You aren’t allowed to talk during the exam.
4. It’s forbidden to park here.
5. I advise you to study harder.
6. He is obliged to go to the police station twice a week.
7. Tom knows how to speak Spanish.
8. He had permission to go to the party.
9. It isn’t possible that that is our plane.
10. It isn’t necessary to take a thick coat.
11. I wish I had paid for half of the meal, but I didn’t.
12. It was wrong of Mary to tell Steve about us.
13. Perhaps Anita didn’t get the text message.
14. It’s possible that they went to the cinema.
15. It wasn’t a good idea to ask the other couple to come with us.
16. I am certain you haven’t seen John because he is on a trip.
       You…
17. It is possible that Jake is in his room.
       Jake…
18. Perhaps we will not see them at the weekend.
       We…
19. I don’t know if I will go to the concert.
       I…
20. They are certain that bringing up children is not easy.
       Bringing up children…
21. It is unnecessary for you to come.
       You…
22. I advise him to give up smoking.
       He…
23. Eating chewing-gum in the class in prohibited.
       Students…
24. There was an obligation to turn off the mobile phone.
      We…
25. I didn’t have the ability to cook when I was younger.
       I…



         KEY 

1.Rewrite the sentences using the modal verbs in brackets.
1. Jane could visit Switzerland next year.
2. I may take Spanish lessons.
3. They must be home by now.
4. James can’t be eighteen yet!
5. The weather might be sunny tomorrow.
6. Mrs Smith can’t have left home.
7. She might have gone to stay with her mother.
8. Mr Smith may have committed a crime.
9. He must have buried something in the garden.
10. He could have won the lottery.
11. He must have bought a new car.
12. Mr Smith might have murdered his wife.
13. She must be at home.
14. I know that it can’t be Jane-She's in America.
15. She thinks I must be stupid.
16. I must look silly in this coat.
17. They're always buying new cars. They must have a lot of money.
18. He can’t be a teacher. He's too well dressed.
19. You're an architect? It must be an interesting job.
20. I'm sure you're not serious. You must be joking.
21. He must have another woman. He keeps coming home late.
22. This water could be dangerous.
23. Politics can be really boring.

2. Rewrite the sentences using a modal verb. 

1. You needn’t / don’t have to take a jacket.
 2. You should see a dentist.
3. You must talk during the exam.
4. You mustn’t park here.
5. You should study harder.
6. He must go to the police station twice a week.
7. Tom can speak Spanish.
8. He could / was allowed to go to the party.
9. That can’t be our plane.
10. You needn’t / don’t have to take a thick coat.
11. I should have paid for half of the meal, but I didn’t.
12. Mary shouldn’t have told Steve about us.
13. Anita may not have got the text message.
14. They may have gone to the cinema.
15. You shouldn’t have asked the other couple to come with us.
16. You can’t have seen John because he is on a trip.
17. Jake may be in his room.
18. We may not see them at the weekend.
19. I may not go to the concert.
20. Bringing up children can’t be easy.
21. You needn’t / don’t have to come.
22. He should give up smoking.
23. Students mustn’t eat chewing-gum in the class.
24. We must turn off the mobile phone.
25. I couldn’t cook when I was younger.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario